Tuesday, January 12, 2016









Stew Richland
Hello Mr. and Mrs. Century Village and all our residents around the globe.

“Things are seldom what they  seem, Skim milk masquerades as cream!”


      Lanny, If I was still  teacher I would have to give you an “F” for your response to my posting about Dave Israel’s outrageous demeanor, snide remarks and over all “bad form” displayed during the last Friday’ Delegate Assembly meeting.

The main point of my position was based on Chief Justice Warren Burger’s remarks he made about good manners and civility which are the bench marks for human discourse. He points out that these qualities elevates a modern society which is in stark contrast to the horrors that are being committed around the world by those who do not respect the dignity of man and the sanctity of life.

I have always been a reader. The written word is a powerful tool to express the complete range of human ideas, and emotions.  To pull the reader into the story,  authors employ certain tools to enrich the imagery of their message. Allegories and metaphors are prime examples of this.  I prefer a book to a kindle because it allows me to highlight expressions, and thoughts that are of particular interest to me.  My wife and I share the same passion for great literature and we have fallen into the habit of posting some of these thoughts  on our refrigerator door to reflect on the power of the message. 

There is no question in my mind that William Shakespeare is the greatest wordsmith of all time.  His ability to describe the human drama is just remarkable.  I have always told my students that a good idea, is a good idea,  and when applicable use it.  The same for the written word.   

For example, when I used the metaphor “short, sharp, shock,” I was not referring to the method of execution used to rid the “malcontents” in Japan, but I was alluding to the pain that you and all Dave Israel’s supporters will get after the March election. 

If I used the metaphor “throwing slings and arrows” when describing David Israel’s behavior towards Phyllis Richland’s campaign for the UCO Presidency, did not suggest that he would physically resort to throwing stones and arrows, even though I suspect he would like to.  This phrase is just a literary tool,  I have used it frequently in describing Dave Israel’s treatment of UCO volunteers. In the end we all have to suffer the “slings and arrows” so there is no point in getting to depressed about not understanding how metaphors are used. 

In Shakespeare’s Henry VI, part 3, the metaphor used was “off with their heads.”  The literal meaning is chop their heads off, similar to what those sub-humans do in the Middle East. In contemporary jargon it is used humorously as  means of mildly reproaching some one. By the by, this same phrase was also made famous by Louis Carol in his story, “Alice in Wonderland.”

Gilbert and Sullivan were two of the great librettists of all time.  They used words to attack the standards and behavior of those living during England’s Victorian period. In the operetta, HMS Pinafore, these geniuses penned the following:

      “Things are seldom what they seem,  Skim milk often masquerades as cream.”  
This is how most Century Village residents view Dave Israel.

Reaching into Gilbert and Sullivan’s bag of metaphor’s, I quote Buttercup and the Captain’s lament:
   “He will/shall learn the
    truth with sorrow;
    Here today, gone tomorrow.”

A little prophecy that we all hope comes true.

Finally Lanny you describe the bakery products you purchased. There is a metaphor that cover this. “Eat humble pie.”  Literally means to acknowledge that one was incorrect or mistaken about what was written.



2 comments: